Thursday, August 9, 2007

756

So apparently, yesterday, Barry Bonds passed Hank Aaron's all-time record. Bud Selig and Hank Aaron weren't there. I guess people expected another slump like the one before number 755. I wonder how Mike Bacsik, the Nationals' pitcher who sent that poor fastball across the plate, is feeling right now. I don't think I would be feeling too badly if I was a major league pitcher, but I also would have walked Bonds on principle when he came up to the plate.

Beyond the actual breaking of the record, it makes you wonder what it really represents for the sport as a whole. The Onion, oddly enough, summed up my thoughts pretty well with its headline this morning: "Destruction Of National Pastime Given Two-Minute Standing Ovation." I don't appreciate what Barry Bonds represents to the sport of baseball. He is enhanced mechanically with his elbow pad which can perform a sort of physics magic trick to help him hit home runs, and he more than likely has been enhanced biologically with horse steroids which is evident when you track his stats and physique throughout the years.

You can call me a conservative loony and say that physical enhancements through technology is the future of humanity (Dr. Garner), but in the realm of sports, I believe technology should be highly regulated to ensure fairness and actual skill remain key factors in the competition. Beyond this, the sport becomes a three-ring circus where anyone with the money and the gumption can participate.

I honestly wish it could have been Griffey breaking the record right now. I've liked him nearly all of my life.

There is a silver lining though. A-Rod is on his way in a drug-free manner (for right now). As much as I despise rooting for the Yankees, I will gladly celebrate when Bonds is usurped by raw talent and incredible skill.

1 comment:

-F- said...

Well Hank Aaron had already told people that he for sure wouldn't be there. I think he's vacationing in Puerto Rico and he hasn't really thought too highly of Bonds. Selig of course doesn't think too highly of Bonds either, but he was there when he tied the record, so that counts for half points anyways.

Bonds has always been a good player. Yeah there was a definite change in his style from fast to power, but other hitters have gone through such changes before.

It's not like anyone cares enough to do random drug tests on him though. heh